Share on:

How to work in Australia for a Year

Rating: 5 (3 votes)
Shared 1 time
How to work in Australia for a Year

Want to go abroad and work for a year? Then Australia is your ultimate destination. The one year travel and work in Australia is popularly known as the gap year. Every year the Australian government issues thousands of working holiday visas. The economy of Australia is booming and the minimum wage in Australia is AU $15 per hour which is one of the best in the world. Traveling along with earning money is one of the most important factors which attracts lots of people to visit Australia each year.

In this article we will know how to work in Australia for a year.

You may also be interested in: How to get a Job in Australia from India

What you will need?

To spend a working year in Australia you will need the following three things:

1. A Working Holiday Visa

2. An Australian Bank Account

3. Australian Tax File Number (TFN)


If your age is between 18 and 30 then you can apply for a working holiday visa (WHV). You can obtain the WHV visa from the site The visa will cost you $ 270. If you want to be issued a working holiday visa then you need to proove that you can support yourself. The Working Holiday Visa allows you to live and work in Australia for up to 1 year. During your one year stay you can work for one employer only for six month. After the six months are over you have to find a new employer.

Those who want to stay for one more year should apply for a second Work Holiday Visa. Also in the first year of your stay you will have to do designated work for three months. Designated work means farm work such as fruit picking, working on a ranch etc. Only then your second Work Holiday Visa will be applicable.

Bank Account

You can apply for an Australian Bank Account in banks like ANZ, NAB, Commonwealth, Westpac etc. before you visit Australia. You can transfer you money to the account before visiting Australia. When you reach Australia you can activate your bank account by showing your passport and visa.

Tax File Number

You can apply for Tax File Number once you reach Australia. You can get a TFN from

In the first month i.e. for 30 days you will get a grace period where you will not be taxed at 48%.

In this one month period your Tax File Number will arrive.

Find a job

You can easily find a job as an au-pair in many sites, search for specific jobs that need people with your language, or go directly to the official Australian Job search website. A fundamental part of finding a job is writing a good CV. At OneHowTo we have different articles to improve the way you write your CV, though if you want to go one step further, there are other specialized sites such as LiveCareer that will help you prepare a good CV and find a job.

You can also read our article on how to find a job in Australia from India.

If you'd like to read similar articles to How to work in Australia for a Year, we recommend you browse around our Employment category.

Write a comment about How to work in Australia for a Year

What did you think of this article?

How to work in Australia for a Year
1 of 2
How to work in Australia for a Year